What is Involved in a Total Kitchen Remodeling Project?
As a homeowner, you know when a certain area of your house starts to slip out of control. Maybe the tiles are cracking and falling apart in your bathroom, or maybe the countertops in your kitchen are starting to peel back. Either way, you know it is going to be time to undertake large-scale renovation projects if you have let entire rooms fall into disrepair. What will be involved in a total kitchen remodeling job? Here are the five big areas you will want to tackle when you get started.
1. Furniture. Then furniture in your kitchen might be the most neglected of all in the house. Whether it is the chairs and table where everyone eats breakfast or another stand used to hold cooking items, these pieces are often allowed to deteriorate in a way which would never be permitted in your living room or bedroom (the small amount of time spent here may be the reason). Before you make changes in other areas, try to coordinate the future design into your choices in furniture.
2. Appliances. Old appliances are not only an eyesore; they also contribute to higher energy bills and poor overall performance. Are you noticing your drinks just aren’t that cold anymore? Have you been the victim of spoiled food? Once you tally up these inconveniences with the look of an old appliance, you should come to the conclusion that it’s time for a new refrigerator or range. Moving from electric to gas stoves will almost always equal better preparation of food.
3. Countertops. No kitchen renovation project would be complete without a countertop replacement. The choices in materials and price points will make it convenient for you to make a switch no matter the budget restrictions. Granite countertops are still an extremely popular choice because of their durability and exquisite look, but the acrylic options will also serve you well if you have a very limited budget.
4. Cabinets. By simply walking into your kitchen and glancing around, you will see just how much of an influence your cabinets have on the room. Considering they might wrap around half the room, you really need to make a move once they fall into disrepair. Cabinet replacement is a major project – which may require a lot of shifting around the house – but cabinet refacing on the other is a relatively low-impact job. You’ll have a new veneer on all your cabinets, plus new hardware for the knobs and pulls.
5. Fixtures. Another small but big-impact area of kitchens will be the fixtures. Your kitchen sink can frame the room, depending on the overall layout. Either way, you should think about the sink as part of the overall design, so be ready to match up the model you choose with the cabinetry, floors and counters. If you are looking for a way to complement the sink further, look to match up the style and materials with the hardware on the cabinets or the light fixtures scattered around the room.